Old Fashioned Custard Oven 325
- 2 C Milk, scalded NOT boiled. It will bubble on just the edges of the pan. Set aside to cool a little. Sometimes I use half and half or 1 C 1% and 1C Cream, or a good caned milk Pet, Milnot, really whatever you have.
- In separate bowl beat 3 Eggs [you can add more if you want it richer] Always crack eggs in a separate dish, one at a time, before putting into the bowl you are going to whisk in. An eggshell in the Custard is a yucky"Crunch"
- ¼ cup Sugar [or more if you like it sweeter]
- ½ tsp Vanilla [real if you have it, if not no big deal]
- 1 tsp. Lemon Extract [will make a big difference]
- Dash of Salt
- Beat eggs well, then add sugar and salt. Whisk.
Bake in a 325 oven for about 45 minutes. I have a hot oven and it took 45 so start testing it at 30. When a table knife comes out clean it’s done.
- 2 slices of white or wheat bread, torn up
- 1/3 C Raisins [optional but I like them]
Sprinkle Cinnamon or Nutmeg
- 1/2 C COOKED Rice
- 1/3 C Raisins [optional]
- Sprinkle Cinnamon or Nutmeg
Note: My Mother gave me this recipe in 1961 the year I was married. Some people think making Custard is hard. Wrong!! Just try it and see.