Monday, January 23, 2012

Old Fashioned EASY Custard

As I was thinking about what to add next to this blog I thought of about 6 different things. Then I asked the Lord what HE thought and didn't hear anything at the time. Swell! Then working in the kitchen my Mother's Custard came to me. We always had it in the winter. Now I gave this recipe to All Recipes and had several folks say they liked it so I thought I would put it on here for you. This is so simple. There is really nothing to making custard. This recipe can be doubled if you want to make a big one but I would suggest you make a small one and see how you do. Don't want to waste your eggs and milk.So here ya go........................

 

Old Fashioned Custard   Oven 325


 
  • 2 C Milk, scalded NOT boiled. It will bubble on just the edges of the pan. Set aside to cool a little. Sometimes I use half and half or 1 C 1% and 1C Cream, or a good caned milk Pet, Milnot, really whatever you have.
  •  In separate bowl beat 3 Eggs [you can add more if you want it richer] Always crack eggs in a separate dish, one at a time, before putting into the bowl you are going to whisk in. An eggshell in the Custard is a yucky"Crunch"
  • ¼ cup Sugar [or more if you like it sweeter]
  • ½ tsp Vanilla [real if you have it, if not no big deal]
  • 1 tsp. Lemon Extract [will make a big difference]
  • Dash of Salt
  • Nutmeg
  • Beat eggs well, then add sugar and salt. Whisk.  
Slowly add scalded milk whisking like mad as you add [no scrambled eggs here] Add the Vanilla and Lemon Extract and whisk. Pour into a 1 qt. ovenproof dish. [It will come to the top] Sprinkle Nutmeg on top. Set the dish in an 8” pan of boiling water, pouring enough in to just about half up the side of the 1 qt. dish.  Don’t get any in the custard.  I do the pouring when the pan and dish are in the oven.

Bake in a 325 oven for about 45 minutes. I have a hot oven and it took 45 so start testing it at 30. When a table knife comes out clean it’s done.


VARIATIONS

**Bread Pudding
  • 2 slices of white or wheat bread, torn up
  • 1/3 C Raisins [optional but I like them] 
Put the bread and Raisins in the bottom of the dish and pour the egg mixture over them.
Sprinkle Cinnamon or Nutmeg

OR

**Rice Pudding
  • 1/2 C COOKED Rice
  • 1/3 C Raisins [optional]
  • Sprinkle Cinnamon or Nutmeg
OR

 
Instead of making a pudding with it you can pour it warm into an 8” unbaked pie shell. Don’t fiddle getting it into a 350 oven, as the custard is hot and will soak your bottom crust if you don’t hurry. Set on a cookie sheet and when knife comes out clean it’s done. This will take a little longer because you want your piecrust to be done. This should take about 40 to 45 minutes to cook. Try the knife after 30 and see what you think. Be sure to cool on a rack. Serve warm with fresh Whipped Cream or Cool Whip.

Note: My Mother gave me this recipe in 1961 the year I was married. Some people think making Custard is hard. Wrong!! Just try it and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment