Friday, June 8, 2012

Gayle's Chicken Fried Rice
Haven't blogged in a while because this computer makes me want to hit it with a hammer more times than not and especially when I'm trying to type anything I want to be seen by others. So.......here I go, and I do have friends praying for me and this dratted computer, so there is hope.
This recipe I began making about 30 years ago from a Chinese girl who lived across the street from me. I've been making it ever since and it is quite easy [of course] and good. I don't know what a lot of children eat these days besides "Happy Meals" and ice cream but hopefully they like vegetables as this is chock full of them. 
2 Chicken Breasts, slice them, then make large bite size pieces.
1 C Raw Rice, NOT Minute Rice, or Uncles either
Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1 or 2 Eggs
1 Green Pepper
1 or 2 White or Yellow Onions
4 Carrots, peeled
4 Ribs of Celery, peel these a little
2 cloves of Garlic [optional]
Method for the Rice
2 C very hot water, some salt [not a ton because the soy sauce is salty]
1 C Raw Rice
Bring water to a boil and add the rice. Turn the burner down to the lowest heat, cover and let simmer till all the water is gone. This could take 30 minutes or so. I sometimes add a couple of Tablespoons of butter or Smart Balance to the water and then the rice. [I love rice]Do the rice first because it's going to take you some time to cut up the vegetables.
Get all your Vegetables cut up into large bite size pieces and set aside. Next beat the eggs and pour into a buttered small non-stick skillet. Don't scramble, you want the eggs done hard like a flat pancake. When they are done on the bottom flip them and cook until completely cooked. Not to high a heat or you will burn them and burned eggs stink and aren't worth eating.
Cut the egg into bite size pieces too. Set aside.
Now the rice should be done & hot. Now my friend always said to use left over rice in this dish but I always use any left over rice for breakfast with sugar, cinnamon and milk.
ANYWAY...... put a small amount of Canola oil in the large skillet, Dutch Oven or whatever you can saute in.
I think about a scant 1/4th cup. Just enough to cover the bottom. Get the skillet hot [not smoking] but hot and add the chicken pieces. I work them around until they are no longer pink but white on both sides. Takes a couple of minutes. Then add the vegetables, shaking the pan and turning the Veg's. and Chicken a few times. Then add the egg and rice. Now this is a lot of rice and you will need to turn down the burner and then mix the rice in as best you can until they get the idea that they are going to be cooked together. Takes a few minutes. If you feel that the rice is sticking add a dab more of the Canola oil. Now is the time for the Kikkoman. Start shaking it over the whole thing until the rice is brown. Taste and see if you have enough. If not add a few more shakes.  Now you can get Kikkoman with less salt. I did that but I gave it away because I thought it needed SALT!  Put the lid on your pan and let it cook on a very low heat for a few minutes, just until the veggies are starting to get soft. Spoon it up into bowls and you have a real balanced meal. Serve a little fruit for desert and there you have it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment