Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gayle's Meatloaf 350

Have been thinking about what to post next and asked my daughter and she seemed to think that my Meatloaf was a good one. I had many failures with my meatloaf, don't mind telling you.  I tried everything to get it to hold together from left over Rice to Oatmeal and even Saltine Crackers. Every time I would serve it my husband and son would say "It tastes good but it's crumbly".  It just wouldn't slice, even cold! So I finally figured out what to do and have been making it for many years this way and it works.  Don't remember my Mother's Meatloaf but I do remember she was the one who suggested the Bacon and I'm glad she did because it makes it good.

 

Gayle's Meatloaf  350

  • 2 pounds of Ground Chuck
  • 1 pound of Ground Sausage [get the Jimmy Dean Reduced Fat, original]
  • 1 large Onion, Chopped fine
  • 1/2 Green Pepper, Chopped fine
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 slices of Bacon [set aside]
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • A couple of hand fulls of homemade bread crumbs
  • Enough Milk to get it to hold together.
Squish it up good so it is mixed well.

**Put into a loaf pan and spread the 4 slices of Bacon on top, carefully tucking it down on the end and sides. Bake at 350 for about an hour and maybe a half but don't over bake or it will be dry. Stick it with a fork and if it isn't bleeding take it out and let it rest on a platter. Even if the middle isn't quite done you can eat the ends and then wrap the rest in foil and put it back into the oven. We have a very finicky oven and we never know how long anything is supposed to take. You can't know the frustration. You just have to hang around the kitchen and watch whatever you are baking. AARGH!
When it is done be sure to let it rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

**Now, I have a meatloaf loaf-shaped pan that is two pans in one. It has holes in the top pan for the fat to run through to the bottom pan and I really love it. No greasy meatloaf for me. If you don't have one of these I would suggest putting it in a loaf pan and when it is done I would carefully lift out onto a paper towel to soak up any grease that is there.  Shouldn't be much if your chuck is lean.
The bread crumbs are what makes the difference in getting it to slice well. I use any left over bread, hamburger or hot buns, wheat or white and make them in my food processor. If I have too much I just put the crumbs in a zip-loc bag and freeze until I make meatloaf again. 

I also have been known to get some Heinz  Home style Savory Beef Gravy, heat it in a small bowl and drizzle it over the sliced meatloaf. Makes a pretty presentation and it's not bad either. I serve either baked potatoes, parsley and butter new potatoes, and a green veg like Green Beans or Broccoli.  Hope this works for you and you enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I have never made meatloaf with sausage. I'll have to try this. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is new to you then just make half the recipe and that way if the kids don't like it you won't have wasted the meat. Ellen makes it like this I think, maybe without the Green Pepper. I think it gives it a lot of flavor.

      Delete