1 Corinathins 10:31
I have been thinking about this recipe for a while and wondered if you would like a new [old for me] Oatmeal Cookie recipe. It's a good one and my children and daycare kids seemed to really like it. These cookies are a chewy, crisp cookie. I know that sounds nuts but they are. Really a good source of fiber for kids too.
Mama's Oatmeal CookiesPreheat oven 350
Spray cookie sheets OR use the paper the butter was wrapped in to coat the sheets.
- 1 - C Butter room temp or put it in the microwave for 10 seconds
- 1 - C White Sugar
- 1 - C Dark Brown Sugar [there is a difference between dark & light]
- 2 Large Eggs, room temp is best, but it's not a matter of life and death to the cookies.
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- *2 Tbs. Orange Juice, if it's not exact it's OK (see below)
- 1 tsp. Soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 C Flour [not self rising]
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. of Allspice or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg [scant]
- *Orange Rind from One Orange (Get the rind off the orange first before squeezing it for juice. Hint: Roll Orange on the counter to soften and it will juice much easier.)
- 3 - Cups Old Fashioned Oats [no quick]
Cream first three 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time beating to be sure they are incorporated.
Then add Orange Juice and Vanilla, beat until blended in.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, soda, salt, and spices plus the Orange rind.
Slowly add flour mixture to batter and blend in. Then add the Oats a little at a time. Mix well but don't beat it to death.
Drop on cookie sheets with a cookie scoop or a couple of teaspoons, 3 across. Bake about 9 to 12 minutes.
We have a horrible oven and we never know how long to bake things we just have to look at them. About half way through I usually turn the sheet around. These cookies will spread out so don't get them too close together. When they are done leave them on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes for them to cool or they will scrunch up.
**Now if you want to vary these you can add 12 oz. pkg. of mini chocolate chips instead of the spices. The Orange is good with the chocolate.
2/3 C Raisins and 1/2 C chopped Pecans along with the spices & Orange. [my favorite but kids don't like the nuts]
I hope you like these and they become a go to recipe for a quick cookie that is good for you and delicious.