Thursday, March 29, 2012

Oven Fried Chicken 350

Been thinking about the food blog this morning. Since I’m taking care of my sweethearts every other day and I’m having company for a meal next week, I wanted to do this one today as I might not have time next week. Now I know some of you have voiced the opinion that frying chicken is just WRONG. Too hard to do and don’t want too. It’s not hard and takes no time at all. In fact that is what my friends have asked me to prepare.
I don’t make greasy fried chicken and I wish I were close enough to you to teach you how to cut one up so you get a couple extra pieces. It goes 2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 legs, 3 breasts and 1 pulley bone. Of course there is the back and the part that went over the fence last. :)  I thought you might like to try this recipe. I made I last night and it is a NO FAIL and really good.

OVEN FRIED CHICKEN 350 

  • 1 Frying Chicken, about 3 ½ pounds. Cut up
  • 1 1/2 cups of Flour
  • Thyme and Rosemary
  • In a zip-loc bag add the flour, a good tbs. of Thyme and Rosemary
  • Salt and Pepper.
Look at it and if it doesn’t look like enough herbs, salt and pepper add more. Don’t go nuts tho. Thyme is strong. Add your Chicken pieces to the bag and shake them up until coated.

In an iron skillet or ovenproof skillet, add about ½ inch of Canola Oil so it definitely covers the bottom.
Put it on MEDIUM HEAT and wait until you see the oil ripple. Lay the biggest piece in the middle and work the others around it. If your stove is too hot turn it down. They do not have to be done, just brown. Lift them and look to see if they are brown. When they are golden on all sides cover with a tight fitting lid and put in the oven for about 35 minutes. Don't add any water or anything. It will be tender and juicy and really full of flavor. Lift the chicken out onto a paper towel and scrape the bottom of the pan with all the brown crispy stuff in it. Pour off some of the liquid off if there is too much.

Making pan gravy

Stir ¼ cup flour [approx] into the liquid and let it cook for a few minutes and then add some milk. Not too much or it will be too thin. Let it cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken. It will thicken more after it cools. I serve this with potatoes or just bread and gravy [a farm favorite].  My Mother used to make this and it is still a good recipe. Hope you will take a chance and try it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment