Sunday, April 22, 2012

Simple Deserts

I was thinking today about something simple you all might like to fix for your family that would be quick and you could make while your eating your supper. I have been making these recipes for about 30 years. When I worked as a cook in a daycare we used this Banana recipe for breakfast a lot. It comes from "The Christian Home Cook Book". I don't believe it is in print anymore but maybe if you get hold of Weavers Store they may be able to get it. These are a real go-to when I have nothing in the house but some dead Bananas and a couple cans of peaches. I don't have a picture as I just made the Banana one and it's gone.  Neither of these are very sweet but really good and will stand in for a tasty desert.
I always called this one;
"A Cup, A Cup, A Cup Cobbler"
Oven 375* 30 - 40 minutes
1 stick Butter
1 C Sugar
1 C Flour [reg.]
1 C Milk
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
In a 8 x 11 oven proof dish [glass] melt the butter.
I just put the butter in the dish and stick it in the oven to melt.  Whisk the dry ingredients together and then stir in the milk. Pull out the dish of melted Butter from the oven and pour the batter over the melted butter. DO NOT STIR.
Pour sweetened fruit over the top, juice and all.
I use a couple of 15 oz. cans of sweetened Peaches.
You can use Cherie or Blueberry Pie Filling. If you use a pie filling you will have to kind of plop it over the batter. Probably one can, 21 oz. will be enough as it is bigger than the peaches. Looks odd but trust me it will come out real good. When I had an abundence of Blackberries I used to sugar them and wait till they had maserated and pour them in. Boy was that good!!
OK, put this in the oven when you are serving up supper and it should be about ready when you are clearing the table. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean and the cake is golden brown. Serve it with some Vanilla Ice Cream or Cool Whip.  It's really good hot or warm.

Banana Cake
Bake 350* 45 minutes  13 x 9 sprayed pan
Cream together; [with mixer] 
3/4 C Butter [room temp. or soften in microwave]
1 1/2 C Sugar
Then blend in;
1 1/2 C or about 4 dead, meaning black Bananas
I moosh them up really well with a fork before I add them. I have tried just putting them in but it comes out better if you moosh them.
2 Eggs, well beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla
Whisk together before adding to wet ingredients;
2 C Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
Add to Banana mixture, alternately with
1/2 C Buttermilk or **sour Milk.
Blend after each addition. Don't beat this to pieces. You don't want it to be tough. Just get the flour and milk incorporated and then add;
1 C Pecans or Walnuts or no nuts at all. [It's great just plain.] Chop the nuts so they aren't big hunks in there.
Put it in the oven and it is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
I wait till it has cooled some then sprinkle Powdered Sugar over the top. This is good hot, warm or just room temp. It's a winner. No icing needed.  Really Yummy!
**Sour Milk is easy made. [as my Mother-in-law would have said] Add about a 1 tsp. [scant] vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 C Milk when you start this recipe and it will look like Buttermilk by the time you need it.
Hope this helps you working Mothers. Hard to have something homemade when you are gone all day. These are easy and good. Try them and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment